Location: CD stack in my childhood bedroom
The site of my childhood bedroom, located about 5km North of the Brisbane City, contains relics of a time between the dates of ‘95 & ‘10. On the weekend dating 21/22 June, armed with CD cleaner and my trusty box of Telfast, I decided to excavate this site in the hopes of discovering long-lost musical artefacts.
Amongst the red herrings consisting of blank CDs, photo CDs, a Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego game, the Big Brother CD single & Peter Combes’ Christmas Carols, there were some fruitful discoveries which can tell us a lot about my musical past.
Unfortunately, with the approximate lifespan of CDs ranging 10-15 years, some results came back inconclusive. A report of my successful findings can be found below (dated in chronological order):
Approximate Date: 1999/2000 AD
I almost ejected the CD upon hearing the first song, thinking it was one of my parents’ Spanish-themed dinner party CDs. Turned out to be the next best thing – Enrique Iglesias. Ranging from soppy pop songs to tracks about weed and ‘jacking off’, this playlist is just as confused as the fashion at the turn of the Millennium.
1. Enrique Iglesias & Whitney Houston – Could I Have This Kiss Forever
2. Afroman – Because I Got High
I’m not sure I even knew what ‘getting high’ exactly was in 1999.
3. Destiny’s Child – Bootylicious
4. Westlife – Uptown Girl
5. Joanne – So Damn Fine
6. Jessica Simpson – I Think I’m In Love With You
7. M2M – Mirror Mirror
8. M2M – Don’t say you love me
9. Mandy Moore – I Wanna Be With You
10. Jessica Simpson – Irresistible
11. Nikki Webster – Strawberry Kisses
12. The Offspring – Pretty Fly For A White Guy
13. Lou Bega – Mambo No . 5 (Don’t try and tell me you weren’t disappointed that your name wasn’t mentioned in this song.)
14. Aaron Carter – Crush On You
Nick Carter features in this video with some pretty sound brotherly advice.
Approximate Date: 2002 AD
Hip Hop and dirty pop reign supreme in this playlist. i.e. I was pretty hardcore at the tender age of 12.
1. Ashanti ft. Ja Rule – Happy
2. Britney Spears – Slave 4 U
Britney did Good Girl Gone Bad way before RiRi.
3. Destiny’s Child – Nasty Girl
4. Alicia Keys – Girlfriend
5. Kelis – Good Stuff
6. Modjo – Chillin’
7. Missy Elliott – Work It
Nothing better than Missy discussing elephants and the shaving of her ‘cho cha’.
8. J Lo – Jenny From The Block
9. S Club 7 – S Club Party
There really ain’t no party like an S Club party anymore.
10. Wu-tang clan – Gravel Pit
11. Craig David – What’s Your Flava?
12. Britney Spears – Boys
13. Bob Marley vs Funkstar De Luxe – Sun Is Shining
14. Tenacious D – Tribute
Approximate Date: 2004 AD
Not sure what I was trying to achieve with this CD – so many highs and lows! I call it my Bipolar Playlist.
1. Sean Paul + Blu Cantrell – Breathe
Anyone able to detect what he is saying deserves a medal.
2. OutKast feat. Sleepy Brown – The Way You Move
3. Spiderbait – Calypso
Some of you may remember this ditty from 10 Thing I Hate About You.
4. Britney Spears – Everytime
5. Enrique Iglesias feat. Kelis – Not In Love
6. Blink 182 – Miss you
7. OutKast – Ms Jackson
8. Beyonce – Naughty Girl
9. Christina Aguilera ft. Lil Kim – Can’t hold us down
10. Kelis – Trick me
11. Obie Trice – Got some teeth
12. Missy Elliott – Gossip Folks
13. JoJo – Leave (Get Out)
Approximate Date: 2005 AD
1. Ashlee Simpson – Boyfriend
2. Pharrell feat. Gwen Stefani – Can I have it like that
3. Stupidisco – Junior Jack
4. Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine – Doctor Pressure
5. Franz Ferdinand – Do you want to
6. Planet Funk – Chase The Sun
The CD broke soon after that 🙁 First world noughtie problems.
Approximate Date: 2005 AD
Ashlee Simpson on the same playlist as Kanye West and 50 Cent?
1. Kanye West – Diamonds Are Forever
2. Ashlee Simpson – L.O.V.E
3. NERD – Rockstar (Jason Nevins Remix)
4. Ciara feat. Missy Elliott – 1, 2 Step
5. Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx – Gold Digger
6. 50 Cent feat. Olivia – Candy Shop
7. Missy Elliott feat. Ciara and Fatman Scoop – Lose Control
8. Usher – Caught Up
Approximate Date: 2005 AD
It seems things turned a little techno when I was 15, coincidentally coinciding with my new-found penchant for Smirnoff Double Blacks.
1. Max graham vs Yes – Owner of a lonely heart
2. Sander Leinenberg – The Fruit
3. Freestylers – Push Up
4. Narcotic Thrust – When The Dawn Breaks (Original Dub Mix)
5. Cabin Crew – Star to fall
6. Live Element – Something About You (Club Mix)
7. Mylo – In my arms
8. Studio B – I See Girls (Tom Nevillle Remix)
Dear God, I still know all the lyrics.
Approximate Date: 2006 AD
Part of the ’bring a burned CD to every party you attend and take over the sound system’ era. These findings are comparable to the current ‘plug in your own iPhone and take over the sound system’ era we live in today. It seems some things never change.
1. Supermode – Tell me why (Pretty sure this bad boy was my Myspace song)
2. Nelly Furtado – Maneater
3. David Guetta vs The Egg – Love don’t let me go
4. Pussycat Dolls – Buttons
5. Justin Timberlake – SexyBack
6. Quesh – Candy Girl
7. Fergie – London Bridge (Oh Snap)
8. Studio B– C’mon get it on
9. LL Cool J feat. Jennifer Lopez – Control Myself
10. Nelly Furtado – Promiscuous Girl
11. Pussycat Dolls – Beep
12. The Similou – All this love
13. Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind
This one must have been a mistake…right? RIGHT?
Have you uncovered a nostalgia-ridden playlist lately? Let us know in the comments or tweet me: @bianca_interns.